Mission, Goal, Objectives, & Competencies
The mission of the Eastern Kentucky University Master of Public Health Program is to prepare competent public health practitioners who are able, through creative and critical thinking and effective communication skills, to enhance the health status and quality of life in local, state, regional, and global communities.
The EKU MPH Program prepares professionals for broad-based practice in public health, through the integration of core competencies in the five areas of knowledge basic to public health (behavioral sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health science, and public health administration) with specialized knowledge, competencies, and expertise in a selected public health discipline area.
MPH Service Goal
The faculty and students of EKU MPH Program serve the public health community by participating in partnerships and collaborative endeavors.
MPH Scholarship Goal
Faculty and students of the EKU MPH Program contribute to the theory and practice of public health through participation in scholarly activities.
Educational Program Objectives
Students who complete the MPH degree will be able to:
1. Contribute to the public health profession through sound professional public health attitudes, values, concepts and ethical practices.
2. Recognize and facilitate diversity of thought, culture, gender and ethnicity through communication and collaboration.
3. Participate in professional development, scholarship, service, and educational activities that contribute to public health.
4. Integrate and apply the crosscutting knowledge and skills (competencies) within five core public health areas of knowledge (behavioral sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health science, and public health administration).
5. Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills necessary for specialized roles within public health specific to community health or environmental health.
MPH Program Competencies
The MPH courses and other program requirements relate directly to the accomplishment of the public health competencies and discipline-specific competencies. The MPH Core Competencies document outlines the competencies and highlights which competencies are specifically addressed in each course.