Mission, Goal, Objectives, & Competencies
We envision a healthy commonwealth and global community led by competent and committed public health practitioners.
The mission of the public health program is to prepare culturally competent, skilled public health practitioners that are engaged in community-focused service and public health scholarship, for the commonwealth and beyond.
- Student Success: Students will demonstrate professional competencies needed to effectively serve as public health practitioners.
- Instruction Goal:The program prepares competent public health professionals through high-impact pedagogy.
- Community-focused Service Goal:The program faculty and students will advance the health of the commonwealth through engagement in community and professional service.
- Scholarship Goal:The program faculty and students will engage in research and scholarship to grow the public health profession.
- intellectual vitality, which is characterized by knowledge, scholarly inquiry, creativity, critical thinking, and curiosity, all with a global perspective;
- sense of community, which is characterized by a supportive environment with strong relationships and a commitment to service, shared governance, collaboration, and unity of purpose;
- cultural competency, which is characterized by equitable opportunities and treatment, mutual respect, and the inclusion and celebration of diverse peoples and ideas;
- stewardship of place, by which the program enhances the intellectual capacity, economic vitality, environmental sustainability, and quality of life of the communities it serves;
- accountability, which is characterized by fiscal responsibility, operational transparency, and responsiveness to the needs of internal and external stakeholders; and
- excellence, which is achieved through integrity, continuous quality improvement, and a focused emphasis on the personal and professional growth of students, faculty, and staff.